The Liberty Wreck
The Liberty Wreck was a Russian cargo ship that was purposefully sunk on the 27th of May 2009 by the Paralimni Municipality as an artificial reef. Since its sinking it has become a new home for a wide variety of marine life. New life can be observed growing and flourishing from year to year although it will take more time for the biodiversity to be on par with other wrecks around Cyprus (e.g., The Zenobia). It is still awesome to see it happen however …. to dive it when it is no more than a wreck on the ocean floor, then return year after year to witness the colonizing species (such as algae and invertebrates) transform the outer shell into something that provides an intricate structure of food for the other assemblages of fish.
She lies in just 27 meters of water, perfect for those of you who would like to advance your dive training with the PADI Wreck Diver Specialty, in preparation for your graduating dive on the Zenobia!
She is also placed just 90 meters away from the Nemesis II wreck, making it possible to combine two wrecks in one dive for those who enjoy diving with Nitrox.
Dive Site Description
- Length = 37 meters
- Max. Depth: 27 meters
- Entry Type: Giant Stride/Backwards Roll
- Experience level: Advanced
- Points of interest: Port Holes/ Hatches
- What can I hope to see? Nudibranchs, turtles, barracuda and groupers.
Who should do this dive?
- Anyone with the PADI Advanced Open Water Certification or higher
- For students on the PADI Advanced Open Water Course
- Perfect for those with a “Lust for Rust”